About usAbout the Summit
Theme: Climate Financing Opportunities for MSME Growth
Green entrepreneurship in Kenya offers a $123 billion market opportunity for small and growing businesses (SGB-active) segments. Research from ANDE reveals that these billions of dollars worth of economic opportunities for investors and entrepreneurs are in critical sectors of the Kenyan economy. The waste management and circular economy sector has a market opportunity of US $54 billion, Sustainable Agriculture and Aquaculture (US $33 billion), and water management (US $22 billion).
On the other hand, the East Africa Economic Outlook 2023 report from the AfDB highlights key insights regarding climate investments in the region. In 2020, East Africa received a substantial USD 7.6 billion in climate investments, accounting for a significant 26% of Africa’s total climate investments. However, the majority, 90%, of these investments originated from public sources, with only a 10% contribution from the private sector.
East Africa still falls significantly short of its climate-resilient development target of USD 739.4 billion for the decade spanning 2020 to 2030. In 2020, the region covered a mere 11% of its estimated annual climate financing needs, amounting to USD 67.2 billion. This created an alarming annual climate finance gap of USD 59.6 billion, underscoring the urgent need for increased investment in green growth and climate resilience.
We are convinced that investing in ideas and entrepreneurs in the climate space is the best way to tap into this opportunity. A green and clean future demands thousands of innovations challenging the current business models. Investments in vital sectors like renewable energy, sustainable agriculture, infrastructure, waste management, and commercial forestry hold the potential to steer Kenya and East Africa towards green, sustainable economies. Realizing this potential requires targeted efforts to facilitate innovative financing instruments for private sector involvement in green growth.
The KCIC Investment Summit is a dynamic event organized with the aim of linking groundbreaking green enterprises with potential investors. The summit serves as a premier platform for showcasing the innovative climate solutions and lucrative green investment opportunities available in Kenya and East Africa as a whole.
Through the KCIC Investment Summit, we are creating an environment where groundbreaking ideas can flourish, where entrepreneurs can showcase their solutions, and investors can find opportunities that align profit with purpose.
- To initiate policy dialogues on climate financing ecosystem and green investment.
- To Unlock Climate Financing Opportunities for MSME Growth.
- To Foster meaningful connections between green enterprises, investors, and stakeholders, leading stronger climate action.
Together, we can create lasting impact, foster sustainable development, and leave a legacy of resilience for generations to come.
- Green Transition
- Agribusiness, Livestock and AgriTech
- Circular Economy
- Nature based Solutions
- Commercial Forestry
- Increased Investment in Climate Solutions: An increased flow of investments into climate ventures, providing financial resources to scale innovative solutions and drive positive impact.
- Strengthened Partnerships and Collaborations: Formation of new alliances and collaborations that enhance the development and deployment of climate solutions, leading to shared expertise, market access, and accelerated impact.
- Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Building: Enhanced knowledge sharing, learning, and capacity building among participants. Attendees will gain insights into emerging trends, best practices, and strategies for scaling climate ventures.
- Policy Dialogue and Advocacy: Identification of policy gaps, opportunities for improvement, and advocacy for enabling environments that foster the growth of climate ventures.